When the Colored Knights of the Pythias first built it in 1909, The Pythian immediately played an integral part in New Orleans early civil rights movement. It towered over the surrounding neighborhood and became a center of the African American community: hosting businesses and local organizations, a theater, and a rooftop garden featuring live jazz.
It fell into disrepair for many years until it was recently rescued from neglect. The Pythian has returned to its former glory and is now a mixed-use building featuring apartments, health care, businesses, nonprofits and the Pythian Market.
With a bow to its illustrious history, the Pythian Market is proud to add food and drink to the next chapter of this historic building’s continuing commitment to New Orleans culture and community.